I will be damned if I don’t speak out — Liz Benson-Ameye

With a filmography of more than 40 films, Liz Benson Ameye is a true film, video and television montage in Nigeria. She played "Mama" in the first production of "Mummy Dearest" and has returned to play her role in the sequel. Although closely focused on the whole, Ameye agreed to J.K. Obatala's intrusion, long enough to give matron advice on a number of pertinent topics, including "homosexuality," "discipline," and "Old versus New Nollywood." Their meeting follows the appearance of the ordained minister and evangelist in "Busted," a very controversial exploration of same-sex marriage, published last May. Ameye is originally from the state of Akwa Ibom, but she now resides in the Delta State, with her evangelist husband, Bishop Great Ameye of the Freedom Family Assembly. You demoled earlier, that you do not know how many movies you have appeared in. After checking the internet one can see their point. Are there at least 40?It is more than that. From the moment I started, until now, it's definitely over 40. That's why I told you, I've lost count, or rather, I've stopped counting.

Image result for ameye png 

Recently appeared in a very controversial film, titled "Busted". Let's start with that. Give us an idea of ​​what the movie was all about - and why did it create such a fuss? The film was controversial because its theme is something that many people do not want to talk about. You know, it's what's happening in many houses. Thus, "Busted" was more or less an exposition of the sexual immorality that is riddling our society. People are riding high on homosexuality because they do not know the implications. Some probably know it's wrong. But they go ahead and do it, anyway. Others are dedicated to this, because they are under the influence of several substances. Even the tall and powerful are involved - men who go after men and women who go after women. It's not just ordinary people. Research has revealed several reasons, including ritual purposes, but it is mostly due to ignorance and moral indiscipline. Many victims are simply unaware of what they are getting into. In some cases, they pay dearly for their ignorance. The Nigerian film industry has a reputation for homosexuality, especially lesbianism. One thinks that is because the film industry stands out. You know, the more you're in the spotlight, the more you get attention, the media ... Yes. And then, we're destined to be role models, you know. I think that's why everyone is talking about homosexuality in the film industry. However, politicians and others are there too. But to affirm what you have said: Yes, it is very widespread. And that's too bad. Actress Nse Ikpe Etim (who hosted the AMAA this year) in an interview with Vanguard said she has no problem with homosexuality. However, as you have noticed, movie stars are role models. Should stars like Etim support sexual immorality? The root-base of people's opinion matters a great deal. What I say is my own opinion. We all have the right to our opinions. I am an ordained minister of the gospel. Consequently, I have come to know things, which I did not know before. When it comes to "morality," I always tell people that there is someone who created the world - and, in doing so, set standards for moral behavior. I am trying to live accordingly and play the role that builds up for me. And I will be damned if I do not speak! You said, also in a recent interview, that while the Nigerian film industry is generating revenue, infrastructure shortages are hampering its growth. Explain that? What I want to say is that those who exercise financial power must know that there are so many things we need in the industry. One is structural empowerment. We need agencies and institutions, which are intensely involved in the training of actors, instilling discipline in their lives and also sensitizing public opinion to who we are. Artists have so many challenges. Often, they see us in the wrong light. We have to make a big effort to get people to understand what we are doing. You know, it's not like we're crazy, or anything! We're just trying to be creative. Therefore, we need structures that help bring practitioners together and make them aspire to do better, in life. Who do you think should provide this support? The government can help by enacting policies that will strengthen the film industry. We need policies that can protect our work and assert ourselves as a stronger industry. And on an even more serious note, the government can also help a lot by spreading our achievements in them
undo - exalting the virtues of our industry abroad, with more vigor. After all, we who make films, we are putting Nigeria on a very high pedestal, globally. When the government comes to realize this, Nigeria and the film industry will be much better. You're an experienced actress. You've been around. What is your perspective on this "Old Nollywood" versus "New Nollywood" thing? All I can say is that the wine improves over time. You can not cut off the old and the new from one to separate them. They must grow together to improve the industry. I have always insisted that the sky is large enough to contain as many stars as we can produce. Let no one say, "This star is taking the place of that star." No no no! There is nothing like that. You come. And you shine, in your own time and in your own season ... and you're still a star. That's what I think. Therefore, the two sectors of industry must stop fighting. They should put their heads and their experiences together. I know the elders have been there, and all that. But then, you know, it's the younger practitioners who have the energy now. They also have the technological know-how. So you can bring it - and make improvements. Younger Practitioners There are some who have set the pace, which have made people look twice at this industry. And I am one of them. However, there are icons that were there, even before me. I recognize them. I give you compliments. And I believe that the new generation, which is entering the industry, must do the same: because it simply can not throw all that experience away. Are you doing any direction or production? I have made some producers. I co-produced a film in the Yoruba language, Èèkù-idà "1" and "2", in 2002, for example, that Tunji Bamishigbin directed. I've also been a presenter, on some talk shows - you know, that was way back. You've been acting since you were a kid. How did you get to the movies? I auditioned for one part - and it was successful. I was a member of Collective Artistes, which was under the aegis of the United States Information Service (USIS). Our director was Chuck Mike. I heard the name before! Yes. Chuck has returned to the United States now. But he brought together the collective artists; and I had been involved, along with, among others, Yinka Davis. And then, I was also a member of the National Association of Night Arts of Nairobi (NANTAP). I checked the name of your first movie. Was it "True Confessions"? Well, in the Wikipedia filmography, "Glamor Girls" (1994) comes before "True Confession" (1995). "Silenced" is the first on the list, but there are question marks in addition to it, rather than a date. No no no! I do not remember the name of my first movie. But it was not "Silenced". It was an Ibo movie. I had more or less cameo paper. I played an Immigration Officer. Right after that, I appeared in a great home video movie. That was "Glamor Girls". Let's talk about "Mami Dearest". You've made a delivery. This is the sequel. What made you join the cast? Well, I got a call from this young Willis Ikedum. He said he had a story he wanted me to be a part of. And I said, "O.K., send me the script." I was pleased to know that "Mummy Dearest" is a kind of family-based thing, you know. That interested me, because I'm always looking for something different. So I was excited. He called us and set us up for a talk. We did it. And everything else fell into place. Do you mentor younger actresses and actresses? I used to do that. But, you know, the people you're talking to, react in different ways. Some will take advice, while others will feel offended. However, when my advice is needed, I am always there. What was your most successful film, the one you are most proud of? Well, when you put things like that ... If I say that ... then it means that the rest of what I've done is not really up to it. So I always stay away from trying to pick a particular movie. I take a story and look at the message. You know, I consider what you are trying to extinguish. For me, that is satisfying, as an actress. Without putting anyone down, I simply did not pigeonhole my movies, in that sense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-UTME: Compile list of schools charging above N2,000 for sanction, minister tells JAMB

A Place In The Sun star Jasmine Harman breaks silence on THAT appearance on The One Show

Kim Kardashian exposes MAJOR cleavage as she squeezes assets into tiny velvet bra