Entertainers lie on social media just to boost their image- Mayowa Bae

The budding singer, Mayowa Olarenwaju, also known as Mayowa Bae, is quickly entering the upper echelon of Nigerian music society with a style of music playing that is unique enough to compete with Tekno, Mayorkun and others. Sharpening his musical teeth while listening to the likes of Pasuma, Ultimate K1 and others, he believes that no competition is strong enough to stop him from reaching main stardom. In this exclusive interview with Star Tracker, the rookie musical ruffles the hive of his peers would not dare. Extracts:
Image result for Mayowa BaeWho is Mayowa?Mayowa Olanrewaju Gabriel, with the stage name, Mayowa Bae, is a musician. Long time I make music, I make all kinds of music. In fact, I started out as a gospel artist but now I do more hip-hop and rap.Why did you choose the music? Music for me is something I just found myself doing; it is something that is in me from birth. When I was young, he forced me to sing with punches after which he gave good comments. My father is a pastor and I was in the minor choir, then I graduated in the major choir, and from there, I formed my own band. Your dad is a pastor and you are in secular music, what is your reaction to it? My father never supported my music, all I wanted was for me to go to school. But when I saw the support I received from people for making music, I had no choice but to support myself, even now that I am in secular music. He's always saying he's proud of me, and calls me almost every day to pray for me, so that's kind of encouraging. As an artist who makes all kinds of music, what strategy does it take to enter the music industry? I have tried many things in the industry, but I think there is something in me that is different. I think the delivery of my own style of music will help me to penetrate the industry. I always get an idea of ​​my religious and cultural background in my music, so when people listen to my songs, paying attention to the lyrics, they know that I am of Christian origin. I make much prelude, praising God. Many Nigerian artists begin their musical career with gospel music but then change to secular music. What do you think is responsible for this change? I will not call it a change, because I still do gospel music. I still go to the churches to play but officially the songs I've been releasing are secular songs. I am a kind of musician whose songs depend on the inspiration I receive. When I stay in Surulere, I see a lot of things happening on the streets, so I'm inspired to do more street songs because people want to hear reality. What works best in Nigeria, gospel or secular music? Yes, we have a lot of gospel artists who are now singing secular music. In my opinion, I believe that gospel artists need to work harder for the secular. They are lazy compared to secular artists. Sorry to say this, but I think they are very lazy. Would you say that lack of proper education has been responsible for artist label fiefdoms? Yes, but I have learned a lot from other artists, who have been in contracts that affected their careers. We do not listen to their songs again, and it's not because they are not good musicians but because of their efforts. For example, Tekno was my very good friend in Abuja; had a contract before signing on Made Men Music Group. The contract almost ruined his career when he was to sign on MMMG. The former head of the label wanted to take legal action against him, but thank God the whole affair was resolved amicably later. Such has affected many artists who are eager to sign on a record label. Do you think you have what it takes to compete with Tekno, Mayorkun and others currently ruling the music? I think the sky is too wide for all the birds to fly; everyone has to come with their own style. When Mr. Eazi released his song, Bombay, people would ask what he was singing because nobody knew him. I listened to some of his songs and also saw some of his videos before arriving at stardom; but then people said he was singing like he was at a funeral. Later, they began to accept him and his style. So, I think I have to keep doing what I like to do, stay real with myself and know that when the time comes I will take over. Mr. Eazi, boasted of bringing Ghanaian sound to Nigeria and also pave the way for African artists in Europe, what is his take? I read something online about Eedris Abdulkareem exploiting him on that statement. For me, people have their own opinions and think differently. I think he brought the Ghanaian sound to his own music and introduced himself to Europe; I think he was talking about himself. Do you think that social media has had any impact on the artithese Yes, I think social media has helped a lot of people and it has also negatively affected some. The social media has made many artists act like fake, showing what does not belong to them just to boost their image, and I know many people who are rich but not show it at all. Why artists often claim they have been hacked anytime they make a silly mistake on social media instead of owning it? Well, I experienced two such incidents before. I think sometimes it happens that happens but they lie and cover just to protect their image. Do you think the lyrics and video content of the songs of today are ideal for the younger generation? We are in a civilized age now, during the time of our fathers things were a bit different, you do not see nudity and obscenity in music videos but you find that everywhere now. I think the music video directors should be creative because they are in charge of the script, and the vixens or video dancers do not have to show their asses and boobs before they can make a good exciting music video. I have lived in Abuja for some time and I have also traveled to other countries to see how they do their things. We have a rich culture in Nigeria, we also have artists who make great music, like Timi-Dakolo, but you can never see exposed boobs or butts in your videos. I think we can do something that will be acceptable on the streets without showing the butts and the tits. It's how you present yourself that people will accept you. Which artists influenced your interest in music as you grew up? I grew up in Surulere, and as I grew up I listened to a lot of music. As I said before, my dad is a pastor, just listen to Sunny Ade, Atorise, Ayefele, but once you walk into my room you come in to listen to Wasiu Ayinde, Pasuma and so on, those are the songs I grew up listening to. Would you say that male artists are doing better than females? Yes, but the females are trying too. I have a lot of female artists that I want to work with; Tiwa Savage Seyi Shay, Niyola, Chidinma and many others. We have a lot of female artists who work very hard; their videos are up to speed and they are doing what some male artists can not do and that is encouraging. The veteran singer, Azadus, recently said that the music industry no longer encourages talent, do you agree? There is time for everything, and in this life everyone has their own time, he said it because it is affecting him. Azadus has released a couple of songs and have had success on the streets. In his time it was different, but I know a lot of people who also complained too, he was lucky to be in Kennis's music, they were everywhere. In this generation, everything is now money. Truly, some artists have only done so because of the way they entered the industry. They used the money to get their way; they are the ones that spoiled everything. Now, we just have to restructure our entertainment industry to make it better and for Azadus, I will advise you not to complain about the industry any more, he should keep pushing. Is it right for celebrities to use social networks as their battlefield? Not bad. If you want to fight, get out and face it. I will not even encourage them to fight, because I can not fight. I can talk, but I can not fight. For me, there are some people that you can not reach, but you just have to cast shadows on them in social networks. Which Nigerian musician do you want to work with? I have many of them; I would love to work with anyone who comes my way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-UTME: Compile list of schools charging above N2,000 for sanction, minister tells JAMB

A Place In The Sun star Jasmine Harman breaks silence on THAT appearance on The One Show

Kim Kardashian exposes MAJOR cleavage as she squeezes assets into tiny velvet bra